10 Top Self-Storage Tips!
1. Plan your storage space. Place items you want to access frequently to the front of the unit, allow for walkways to gain easy access to your items.
2. Clean & Dry Appliances. Add a container with salt to appliances such as fridges or freezers to absorb moisture when in storage.
3. Heavier items to be placed at the bottom of boxes. With lighter items on top, always pack books flat in small boxes for ease of lifting.
4. Label all boxes clearly. Place marked labels in clear sandwich bags to keep dry and allow for ease of reading over time! Label each side of the box and list contents.
5. Write an inventory of all your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home / office.
6. Drain oil from engines, such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and other gardening equipment.
7. Allow a small space between the wall and the stored items to allow for ventilation.
8. Protect upholstered furniture and mattresses with a plastic sheet or pallet underneath and cover the item completely with a plastic covering or blanket to protect the fabric.
9. Pack your boxes and items in the boxes closely together to avoid the accumulation of moisture.
10. Always store pictures, mirrors, windows on their sides and use strong cardboard to protect them.